An RCMP officer has been arrested and charged on six counts following an investigation by the Manitoba Independent Investigations Unit into a shooting and death in Thompson back in 2015.
Constable Abram Letkeman is being charged with:
- one count of manslaughter;
- one count of criminal negligence causing death;
- one count of reckless discharge of a firearm;
- one count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm;
- one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm;
- one count of dangerous driving
The charges stem from an event where the constable discharged his firearm after a pursuit and traffic stop which resulted in the death of the male driver and serious injuries to the female passenger.
Constable Letkeman was released on bail and will head to provincial court in Thompson on March 31st.
The Independent Investigations unit will not be making any further comments on the investigation as it is now before the courts.